Imagine yourself as your average consumer. For just a second, take off your business-savvy hat and put on your consumer thinking cap. If you don’t already have a go-to business, how do you find medical spas near you that will provide you with the products and services you need?
Chances are, like most other consumers, you whip out your mobile device, open up Google or a similar search engine, and searh for something like this: “medical spas near me” or “medical spas nearby.” According to Google Trend data, the number of searches containing terms like “nearby” or “near me” have more than doubled since 2014. Now put your medical spa marketing hat back on. What can you do to make your business rank higher on these types of searches?
The answer is hyper-local advertising. This type of advertising pinpoints target consumers within specific areas and is highly effective for service-oriented businesses or those with multiple locations. Since medical spas are typically service-oriented, hyper-local advertising is a highly beneficial addition to your medical spa marketing plan because it allows you to reach consumers in locations that will benefit you the most—those nearby. There are three different ways to select a hyper-local advertising area:
- Set a radius around a specific address (most likely your business)
- Select a specific community or neighborhood
- Select a specific zip code
Each of these methods allows you to target individuals not only living or working in those areas, but those that come within the proximity of the area. Hyper-local advertising comes in many ways, shapes, and forms. Anything that allows you to segment by geographic area or a set radius around an address falls under this category, but according to Reach Local, these methods are the shining stars of hyper-local advertising:
- In-app mobile: These ads reach consumers while they use an app on their mobile device (i.e., smart phone, tablet, etc.) near your specified community/zip code or within your set radius.
- Search engine: Search engine ads present themselves to local consumers as texts ads when they are searching for businesses, products, or services similar to yours. This type of advertisement allows you to use geo-targeting to reach two types consumers—those that happen to be physically within a designated area or those explicitly searching for products and services within an area.
- Facebook: Facebook ads allow you high control of your targeted content. These ads allow you to specify consumer demographics, interests, favorite places, and more to further segment your consumers.
However, hyper-local advertising is more than just selecting a neighborhood or zip code at random. For a successful hyper-local marketing campaign, you need to:
- Know your consumers: This is a given for any business and any marketing tactic. In order to market your business effectively, you need to know who your consumers are and what they’re looking for. You must also understand the demographics, psychographics, and behaviors of your target market. This is when your business can benefit from developing buyer personas.
- Know your area: When selecting areas to target, like consumers, you need to know the breakdown of the neighborhood—who lives there, what do people in these neighborhoods like to do, what are their interests, what other types of businesses are in the area, etc. The areas you choose to pinpoint need to be areas that your target consumers live, work, or frequently visit. That way they will be more likely to see your ads.
- Make enticing ads: Your consumers see hundreds of ads every day, especially on their mobile devices. By creating content that is attention-grabbing and visually appealing, you can reach and attract your target consumers when they are within your selected areas or radius. When creating calls-to-action for your ads, make sure to advertise enticing services that your consumers would want. Give them incentive to click your ad.
Like any other form of medical spa marketing, hyper-local advertising requires close monitoring and carefully tailored content in order to reach consumers and to be effective. By hand-picking the areas you market to, you expand your reach to new potential consumers you may not have found as quickly through other marketing methods. Hyper-local advertising takes you directly to consumers—those looking specifically for your service and those simply in the area.